PAL will not run natively in the 64-bit version of Windows 7 displaying a message to "Contact your software vendor to obtain a 64-bit version of your application."
PAL should run in:
1) Windows 7 32-bit version.
2) Windows 7 64-bit under Microsoft's Windows XP emulator that's a free download for Windows 7 users.
3) Windows 7 64-bit under DOSBox a free open source DOS emulator available here:
4) Windows 7 64-bit under TameDOS here:
The compressed file you received should contain the following files: DPR.EXE executable file (the program's engine); DP.SYS, a necessary system file; PAL.STR, the program's structure file; PAL.IND, the
program's index file; PAL.TXX, a file containing the data in the program's text ("memo") fields; other program files PAL.XXX) containing sample data. These files may all be placed in the same directory.
How do I install PAL under Windows XP?
How do I tweak PAL to work well under Windows XP?
After installing PAL from your floppy disk, go to Windows Explorer (right click on the START button and left click on "Explore". Find the folder C:\PAL34. Right click on the file PAL.EXE and then choose "Send to" and "Desktop (Create Shortcut)". Now go to your desktop, right click on the icon for PAL and choose "Properties". Under the "General" tab you can change "PAL.EXE" to "PAL Library System" or whatever is better for you. Under the "Program" tab, choose "Normal Window" in the "Run" field, and check "Close on Exit". Click on the "Change Icon" button to choose an icon you prefer for PAL. If you like, you can also make a shortcut key of, say, Ctrl + Alt + P, in the "Shortcut Key" field. This way, whatever you are doing in Windows, when you want to run PAL you can just type Ctr + Alt + P to start PAL immediately. Under the "Font" tab choose "True Type Only". Under the "Screen" tab set it to "Full Screen" and "Restore settings at startup". Under the "Compatability" tab set it to run 640 x 480 screen resolution. Be sure to click on "Apply" and "OK" for these settings. Now, click on (new) icon for PAL and right click on the title bar (blue bar on top of the window) and choose "Properties". For "Display options" choose "Full Screen". Click on the "Layout" tab and choose 25 for "Height" under both "Screen buffer size" and "Window" size. Click "OK" and click on "Save for future windows. . .". Remember, you can toggle from full screen to smaller screen with the ALT + Enter key combination.
1. BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR EXISTING DATABASE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!
2. From any panel in your existing database press Shift-F9 and enter "0" as password. This takes you to the System and Recovery Operations menu.
3. Choose "A" - Export Data Files to Log and then choose "1" Export All Data Files to Log
4. Type in "C:\PALLOG" and press Enter key - wait while this operation creates a file containing all of your PAL data (c:\PALLOG)
5. Now rename your PAL directory to C:\PAL34Old and install your new version of PAL (to newly created
6. In your new version of PAL go to any panel (you need "SEE" and "PASS" as your default username and password) and then press Shift-F9 (to bring up the System and Recovery Operations menu again)
7. Now choose "8" - Import Transaction Log and then type in "C:\PALLOG" (without the quote marks of course). This will import all of your data to the new version of PAL.
8. Test the new version completely before deleting your old database.